As part of the Bulletproof Diet, which I've been following for the past 15 months, intermittent fasting has become a big part of my life.
What is intermittent fasting?
There are many forms of intermittent fasting with the most popular one being the 5:2 diet, where you restrict calories to 600 a day, for 2 days per week. Other forms of intermittent fasting include:
- taking a 24-hour break from eating
- eating one large meal every night
- having one cheat day followed by a 36 hour fast.
- I’ve tried each one of these and they are all fine as long as they are one-off events. But, in my opinion, these aren’t sustainable. I end up hungry, grumpy and irritable.
- What I have found works well for me is eating my meals within a 6 to 8 hour window each day. So, I aim to have my lunch after 2pm and my evening meal before 8pm. Some days this may deviate a little, but generally I will fast for at least 16 hours, most days of the week.
Fasting has many benefits:
- Intermittent fasting helps to reset your body by burning fat for fuel (ketosis) and turning off your hunger hormone (ghrelin).
- Reduces insulin sensitivity, which makes it easier to burn fat for fuel. 
- Fasting helps in better heart health, by reducing the risk of cancer and increases longevity by repairing genes. This is accomplished through a process called autophagy, which cleans out the rubbish that has accumulated in your cells. 
- Lowers triglyceride levels
- Reduces oxidative stress, which leads towards many chronic diseases. 
- Inhibits the mTOR pathway as mTOR activation contributes to a large number of diseases including, depression, type 2 diabetes, cancer and neurodegeneration 
- Burns ketones for fuel rather than glucose. This makes you feel awesome as your brain loves ketones.
- Take 10 mins to search on Google for the benefits of fasting and how it’s helping people to live longer and recover from illnesses. As I’m not a medical doctor, I can’t recommend intermittent fasting to prevent and treat diseases. But do a quick search and make up your own mind.
The secret to fasting from 8pm to 2pm the next day …
A Bulletproof Coffee in the morning, provides you enough energy to see you through to lunchtime, without breaking the fast.
My daily routine is:
07:00 - Drink Bulletproof Coffee - this doesn’t take you out of ketosis and breaks the fast.
14:00 - Break my fast with a healthy lunch. Usually, salad with moderate protein and lots of avocado and very low carb.
20:00 - Evening meal which contains high healthy fat, moderate protein and some carbs.
One day in the week, I break the fast, cut back on proteins and increase my consumption of healthy carbs.
A quick word on how to make Bulletproof Coffee:
· 250ml of good quality coffee
· One tablespoon of unsalted Kerry Gold Grass fed butter
· One tablespoon of Bulletproof Brain Octane Oil
Method: Blend every ingredient together for 20-30 seconds until you get a nice froth
If you would like to find out more about intermittent fasting, Bulletproof diet or Bulletproof coffee, why not get in touch for a free1 hour complementary coaching session?
If you've enjoyed this, please leave a comment below and check out our other blog posts