As part of my own personal journey, eating a Bulletproof diet has been one of the most important aspects along with meditation. Dialling in your diet will provide you with a massive boost in energy and is a real cornerstone for peak performance.
I’m also conscious that there is so much dietary advice out there and people fiercely defend their own dietary views. You’ve probably heard the saying that at a dinner party you should never discuss religion, politics or sex – I’d like to add diet to the list :o)
This is something that works well for me and I’m aware that it won’t appeal to everybody.
So, what is the Bulletproof Diet?
Simply, it can be summarised as:
- low carbohydrates, moderate protein, high healthy fats and lots of green vegetables
- eat food that makes you feel great and avoid food that deplete your energy
- eat between 2pm and 8pm each day – see blog post on intermittent fasting
You may have come across the Paleo diet which is focused on how our ancestors ate but Bulletproof focuses on anti-aging and cognitive performance:
- Food quality – nutrient dense, high quality foods that feed your body at a cellular level
- Food processing – how your food is prepared and cooked is vitally important. Charred food produces HCAs and PAFs, which can damage DNA once they are metabolised.
As part of the diet, you should avoid the following foods:
- Sugar – it will spike your insulin, make you hungry and drag you out of peak performance. Replace sugar with healthy fats
- Gluten – oh no your thinking, here’s another Gluten avoider for no good reason. Gluten is proven to impact your performance and whilst it’s difficult to give up wheat, the performance boost is worth it
- Grains– anti-nutrients are common in most grains (lectins, mold toxins and phytates)
- Vegetable oils (canola, corn, peanut, sunflower, soybean) – they cause inflammation and are unstable and easily oxidise when cooking and when in your body. They are high in omega-6s which damage your DNA and don’t support optimal brain metabolism.
- Dairy – the pasteurisation process alters the protein in milk (casein) so that it is difficult for humans to process. Many people think they are lactose intolerant (sugar in milk) when they are actually have trouble processing casein. Casein and gluten are similar at a molecular level.
- Synthetic additives including aspartame, MSG and artificial flavouring – MSG causes the neurotransmitters in your brain to miss-fire and aspartame which is found in diet drinks has no place in your diet – I don’t want to scaremonger but just Google it and see what comes up!
- Legumes such as peanuts, lentils and beans – many people have issues with lechtins which are found in grains, legumes, beans and nightshade vegetables. It’s worth keeping a close eye on how you respond to these and avoid them if you have brain fog or feel bloated
- Limit fruit to one serving per day to avoid unnecessary carbs – and consume in the evening.
- Farmed fish – avoid it at all costs. For example, farmed salmon is about 5 times more toxic than any other food tested – this is truly shocking. Fish farming uses a lot of pesticides and antibiotics. The pellet feed is also high in toxic pollutants.
- Factory farmed grain-fed meat – mass produced meet is fed crap, high levels of antibiotics and grains. The nutrient density is low and the toxins the animal eats is stored in its fat stores, which we then eat.
- No processed foods – for all of the reasons mentioned above
So … you’re probably thinking; what can I eat?
- Lots of organic green vegetables
- Grass fed meat, including beef, lamb, pork, turkey and chicken
- Wild caught low mercury seafood
- Eat healthy fats such as grass-fed butter, grass fed ghee, Brain Octane oil, coconut oil and avocados
Check out the Bulletproof diet food map, stick to the green foods and avoid the red ones.
You can download it here:
Why do I eat Bulletproof?
- It gives me a massive amount of energy everyday
- It keeps me focused
- My mood has improved
- It helps with weight loss
- Eating this way, along with intermittent fasting will help me avoid a number of autoimmune and neurological diseases.
If you wish to find out more about the Bulletproof Diet:
Nick Powell is the founder of Stronger Self and he works with entrepreneurs and senior leaders to enable them to take their personal and professional performance to the next level.
Nick’s approach uses cutting edge tools and techniques from the worlds of biohacking, productivity, anti-aging and neuroscience; harnessing the exciting intersection between biology and technology.
Nick has developed his Peak Performance Coaching Programmes to enable his clients to deliver extraordinary results across all aspects of their personal and professional lives.
He runs his Coaching sessions face to face in London & Surrey and across the World via Zoom.