You’ll see on the website that I refer to Human Optimisation and Performance, so I thought I would write a blog post to explain what it is and how it has benefited my Clients.
At its simplest level, it means putting yourself first, focusing on what you need to optimise to get the biggest performance improvements in every area of your life. As I wrote about in my first book, Fit for Purpose Leadership 3 – it’s vitally important for people to put themselves first and in doing so they are in the best possible place to look after their career, business and loved ones.
Human Optimisation and Performance is all about you and not about your work, career, spouse and family. It’s completely focused on what you can do to put yourself in the best possible place to deal with life’s problems and maximise life’s opportunities across all areas of your life.
The 3 components to Human Optimisation
- Energy – tapping into your hidden energy and maximising your energy levels
- Emotional strength – increasing resilience, mitigating stress and managing the voice in your head
- Cognitive performance – making better decisions, thinking faster, thinking creatively, and increasing your brain power.
When you optimise all three you will start to see results in all areas of your life and not just your performance at work. It’s not good enough to focus on one or two, you need to do the work and focus on all three.
The secret to making massive improvements in all three areas is biohacking. I define this as taking control of your physical, mental and emotional states, harnessing the exciting intersection between biology and technology. It is a cutting edge and holistic approach that will open your eyes to a world you never knew existed.
Focusing on the three components above, you will typically hear the following advice:
- Energy – eat a balanced diet, drink plenty of fluids, exercise, take multi-vitamins and don’t sit down all day.
- Emotion – meditation, deep breathing exercises, confidence building exercises and getting sufficient ‘down time’.
- Cognition – focus techniques, sleep 8 hours a night and brain training games.
Going Deeper into Human Performance
These are all great and I work on these with my clients but I also take them further and much deeper. Here are a few examples:
- Energy – gut microbiome testing, blood testing, quality deep sleep, targeted supplementation, time efficient exercise, cold exposure, light exposure and fasting
- Emotion – HRV training (trains you to handle stress), deep meditation, EMDR and techniques to handle emotional triggers ‘in the moment’.
- Cognition – nootropics (aka smart drugs), neurofeedback, fasting, binaural beats and advanced brain training.
Here are 3 things that you can take away and start implementing. These are covered in more detail in my book Limitless and in my other blog articles:
- Energy – start noticing how you feel after every time you eat or drink. If you don’t feel great and I mean really great then you’ve eaten or drunk something you shouldn’t have. Start to remove items from your diet and see how you feel. What is great for you won’t be for somebody else i.e. I have energy issues after having tomatoes
- Emotions – go and buy the Inner Balance from Hearth Math and do it for 10 minutes per day for 6 weeks. It will turn off your response to stress.
- Cognition – try a Bulletproof Coffee with a twist… use the Four Sigmatic Lions Mane and Chaga coffee, with grass fed butter and Brain Octane Oil.
Nick Powell is the founder of Stronger Self and he works with entrepreneurs and senior leaders to enable them to take their personal and professional performance to the next level.
Nick’s approach uses cutting edge tools and techniques from the worlds of biohacking, productivity, anti-aging and neuroscience; harnessing the exciting intersection between biology and technology.
Nick has developed his Peak Performance Coaching Programmes to enable his clients to deliver extraordinary results across all aspects of their personal and professional lives.
He runs his Coaching sessions face to face in London & Surrey and across the World via Zoom.